Did you know that 1.82 Million people with engineering skills will be needed by 2022?
Although there are specific skills that are required, the sector generally has a broad range of roles that all require different strengths and abilities.
Some useful qualifications in the oil and gas industry include.
• Technical or safety-related certifications
• Vocational or Apprenticeships
• A degree (either in Petroleum/Oil and Gas Engineering or in a similar field)
• Masters level qualification (mostly in the sciences or engineering)
• Doctorate (typically in science or engineering)
Some basic skills are:
• Analytical skills - must be able to compile and make sense of large amounts of technical information and data in order to ensure that facilities operate safely and effectively.
• Creativity - Because each new drill site is unique and therefore presents new challenges, oil and energy workers must be able to come up with creative designs to extract oil and gas.
• Math skills - Many roles involve a lot of numerical calculations.
• Problem Solving - Identifying problems in drilling plans is critical for oil and energy workers because these problems can be costly. oil and energy workers must be careful not to overlook any potential issues and must quickly address those which do occur.
A few more skills:
• Communication skills
• Strong work ethic
• Technical skills
• Attention to detail
• Presentation skills
About the Author, Fisayo Adeyemi
Fisayo works in Business Operations at Manup and has a strong interest in the oil and energy industry. His educational background is in Petroleum Engineering from Covenant University and Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning: For Business Application from UTexas