Fishing Supervisor Job Description & Salary
By Tomiwa Oladipo Published January 2023
What Is Fishing in the Oilfield?
In the oilfield, fishing does not refer to catching a fish (aquatic animal) in a lake. Fishing is a term for removing drilling equipment (stuck pipe or debris) from the wellbore.
Who is a Fishing Supervisor?
A fishing or fishing tool supervisor oversees the removal of debris or junk from the wellbore with fishing tools. The fishing supervisor’s role is critical to ensuring hitch-free drilling operations on the rig.
What Do Fishing Tools Mean?
Fishing tools are specialized mechanical well workover and intervention tools used to recover or retrieve leftover or broken pieces of drilling equipment or tools, such as well tubing, packers, liners, etc., from the wellbore.
Leftover or broken tools or equipment in the wellbore are called "junk" or "fish." Fishing tools supervisors oversee the junk or fish removal process from the wellbore.
It’s mandatory to remove metal debris (fish) from the wellbore before further drilling processes.
Fishing Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises all work associated with oilfield fishing operations
- Directs rig crew on the rig floor during the operation of fishing tools downhole
- Conducts safety meetings with rig crew to ensure safe working conditions
- Ensures compliance with safety policies and proper equipment handling
- Manages and ensures the safety and cleanliness of fishing tools
- Coordinates with client representatives to provide appropriate equipment procurement, maintenance, and services in line with company procedures
- Liaises with customer representatives on fishing operations safety concerns and cleanliness
- Assures all equipment, spare parts, and service tooling are on location and ready for use
- Checks the inventory and records critical information such as weights, dimensions, pressures, temperatures, and flow rates to ensure the system/assembly will work per design and procedure requirements
- Assists with assembly procedures and product testing and running review
- Communicate with customer representatives on issues regarding job installation/testing procedures, tooling, equipment, spare parts requirements, tooling, and equipment function-fit and critical technical data (weights, dimensions, measurements, weights, pressures, temperature, and flow rates).
- Completes field documentation (service, end of well, daily, etc.) after completion of each service job
- Prepares and completes safety-related documentation (incident, job safety analysis reports, etc.) consistently for safety awareness and accident prevention
Job & Skill Requirements
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and adhere strictly to company procedures and policies
- Strong understanding of drilling operations, well integrity and wellbore stability.
- Ability to maintain a positive and professional attitude in a challenging and dynamic environment.
- Familiarity with drilling and completion technologies and equipment.
- Ability to identify and mitigate risks associated with fishing operations.
- Strong understanding of well construction and completion processes.
- Proficient in the use of computer software and databases.
- Strong knowledge of drilling fluids and their properties.
- Strong mechanical aptitude and ability to troubleshoot and repair fishing equipment.
- Numerical competence
- Good communication skills
- Knowledgeable about safety measures and procedures in rig and fishing operations
- Good leadership skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to operate drilling rigs, snubbing units, and workover rigs
Fishing Supervisor Qualifications
- High school diploma or an equivalent (GED)
- Necessary medical certificates
- Minimum Industry Safety Training (MIST) certificates
- Valid HUET/BOSIET Certificate
- Relevant onshore and offshore experience as a driller or in fishing operations
- Necessary medical certificates
- Casing exit, wellbore intervention, or liner experience
- A degree or diploma in an engineering or related field is a plus.
How much do fishing tools supervisors make?
The average salary of fishing tools supervisors in the United States is $65,945 per annum. The pay varies depending on location, education, job level, experience, company, and skills.
Fishing Supervisor Jobs Near Me
For more information on becoming a fishing supervisor or finding fishing supervisor jobs, please don’t hesitate to contact our support team. We're happy to chat with you about how our global energy talent marketplace can help connect you with oil and gas companies hiring for several rig-based positions.
You should also register here to access ongoing projects needing your skillset.