Measurement While Drilling Engineer; Job Description And Salary
Who is a Measurement While Drilling Engineer?
An engineer in the oil and gas sector, also known as MWD Engineer. The MWD Engineer is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the tools and technology deployed in the measurement of different parameters while drilling a well.
This includes the direction and angle of the wellbore, the pressure and temperature downhole in the well, along with other parameters such as geological and drilling dynamics data. MWD Engineers work alongside other members of the drilling crew like the drilling engineer and well site supervisor on drilling rigs.
They ensure that the data retrieved during drilling are accurate, well-analyzed and recorded. The data collected by the MWD Engineer is also used in optimizing the drilling operation to ensure that each well is effectively and safely drilled.
Measurement While Drilling Engineer's Duties and Responsibilities
The success of any drilling operation relies significantly on the crucial duties of the MWD Engineer. The following are some of the fundamental duties assigned to an MWD Engineer.
- Responsible for deploying new tools, technologies, and techniques that can improve the efficiency of the drilling process or for complex projects.
- In charge of maintaining drilling equipment and troubleshooting whenever an emergency arises during the drilling process.
- Ensure that all drilling activities are following the health, safety, and Environmental (HSE) procedures.
- Management of the MWD equipment inventory and supervision of the equipment transportation to and out of the work site.
- Examination of all MWD equipment and suggestion of any urgent repair or improvement.
- The MWD Engineer maintains a detailed record of every activity relating to drilling operations.
- Analyzing data collected to identify possible issues and ways to optimize the drilling process.
- Supervision of MWD processes such as tool preparation, data acquisition, and quality control and proffer methods of improvement.
- Interpretation of all MWD data to appropriate clients or Supervisor
- Be available on-site to supervise, complete and deliver engineering projects.
- MWD Engineer is expected to work with the drilling and completion team to ensure that drilling objectives are met and exceeded at the appropriate time.
- Maintains all MWD tools and analyzes every collected data from the drilling process. They also make recommendations that promote safe and effective drilling operations.
Measurement While Drilling Engineer's Qualification Experience
Based on the duties mentioned above, it is evident that the tasks assigned to an MWD Engineer are significant. To qualify you should possess these core qualifications and experience:
- A bachelor's degree in Petroleum Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geology, or any related field is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience in drilling operations.
- Ability to operate drilling software, measurement tools, and data acquisition/analysis software.
- Experience working on drilling rigs as a roughneck or mud logger.
- Sound knowledge of geology and rock formation.
- Basic safety training.
Other MWD Engineer Jobs and Skill Requirements
- Excellent communication skills: Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Possess team spirit.
- Computer literacy.
- Knowledge of safety protocols and regulations.
- Time management skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Keen interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop and redesign MWD tools.
Measurement While Drilling Engineer Salary
The salary of an MWD Engineer varies based on factors like years of experience, skillset, geographical location, and the employer or industry. However, the average salary range is between $76,598- $123,611 per annum.
What certifications are required for an MWD Engineer?
If you consider this a prospective career path, you should work on acquiring these certifications. They increase your chances of getting a better-paying role.
Can MWD Engineers be employed outside the oil and gas industry?
MWD Engineer jobs are mostly found in the oil and gas sector. However, industries that involve drilling operations, like mining or geothermal exploration also employ MWD Engineers.
Measurement While Drilling Engineer Jobs Near Me
For more information on becoming a measurement while drilling engineer or finding an MWD Engineer job around you, please don't hesitate to contact our support team. We're happy to chat with you about our global energy talent marketplace. We can also connect you with oil and gas companies hiring for several rig-based positions.
You should also register here to access ongoing projects needing your skillset.